Los Angeles-based law firm Seo & Johnson (NYSE: SEJ) said in a statement Thursday that it “will not support any lawsuit” brought by President Donald Trump against the administration over the travel ban, which he has repeatedly called “disgraceful” and “unconstitutional.”
“This is not the way to conduct business in a free and open society,” Seo wrote.
“We do not support the executive order and have been clear from the beginning that it does not meet the standards required by the law.
We have always maintained that our firm does not have an interest in any political or public position, and we have not acted in any way to endorse or oppose any candidate or cause.”
Seo has said in the past that it did not have enough legal expertise to challenge Trump’s executive order on immigration, which is based on a 2002 executive order issued by President George W. Bush.
In its statement Thursday, the law firm wrote that Trump “has continued to attack us and our firm as ‘fake news’ in his recent tweets and press conferences and in other media.”
“We have repeatedly stressed to him that we are not the ‘fake-news’ organization that he is claiming, and our clients do not receive funding from his campaign or other campaign organizations.
We do not intend to be the only one that is affected by this executive order, and will continue to do so,” Seos lawyers wrote.
The statement comes after the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday that the law firms attorneys for Trump and his campaign did not receive any compensation for representing the president in the travel restrictions.
In a letter sent to Trump on Thursday, John Dowd, general counsel of Trump’s legal team, said the campaign had received “no compensation for our services.”
“As noted by the Times, the campaign received no payment for services rendered in defending the travel order, but the Trump campaign has not been reimbursed for legal services provided,” Dowd wrote.
Dowd also noted that the travel restriction was not limited to the United States.
“The executive order was applied to all citizens of the United Kingdom and its territories and possessions and applies to individuals from the countries of the world, including those in the European Union and Canada, as well as to nationals of other countries,” Dowds letter said.
Trump’s team also wrote to the Times that the lawyers representing the administration had been paid between $1,000 and $5,000.
“These attorneys are not paid for their services,” Trump’s lawyers wrote in their letter to the newspaper.
“Neither do the President’s legal advisors and advisers.
They are not employees of the government.
The lawyers represent the President on his behalf on a pro bono basis, not as paid law firms.”
Trump has called the travel suspension a “disaster.”
“The order was a disaster, it’s been a disaster for people,” he said at a rally in Phoenix on Wednesday.
“It’s a disaster and we are going to get it right.
And we’re going to take care of everybody that’s going to be affected.”
Trump’s attorney general, Jeff Sessions, on Thursday defended the travel halt as legal and constitutional.
“This executive order is clearly lawful and I think it is going to have a long-term impact on a number of different categories of people,” Sessions said during a White House briefing.
“I’m not going to speculate about what the future will be, but I do want to be very clear that it’s constitutional.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.